It’s crazy to think that we have to THINK about so many things we are putting on our bodies. For 10+ years I had acrylic nails and LOVED it! But alas, my very awesome nail guy (yes, guy) left to start his own business WAY UP in some northern suburb of Atlanta and that was the end of my nail habit. I think that was 5 or 6 years ago and I’ve been basically bare-nailed ever since. I actually love painting my nails, but I despise removing polish, so I rarely paint them.
When I realized all the horrible stuff in nail polish (surprise, surprise), it made it easier to not return.
The biggest problem ingredients in polish:
- Formaldehyde – Known carcinogen. Linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity
- Toluene – Volatile petrochemical solven that is toxic to the immune system and can cause birth defects
- Pthalates – Disrupt the endocrine system and may cause birth defects
- Dibutyl – Banned in Europe, reproductive and developmental toxicant
- Camphor – Restricted use in Canada, reproductive and organ toxicity
But guess what??? There are options!! YAY!! I’m in love with Smith & Cult Nail Polishes. They are high-performing and stay on very well. My favorite color is the nude shade called Ghost Edit. But I have several others as well. They are a little pricey ($18) but totally worth it since I don’t paint my nails too often. You can always bring your own colors to the nail salon – that way you get the fun service, without the chemicals. (Photo below by Smith & Cult)
Here’s my stash. The bottom right is the Ghost Edit — it’s much lighter than the picture above looks. I also have the base coat and top coat (not pictured).